Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baby Bran Muffins


Saturday breakfast! I whipped up a quick batch of lower-fat bran muffins for breakfast this morning to accompany my veggie egg fritatta leftovers. I subsituted the oil in this recipe with applesauce, used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all purpose, and mixed up a buttermilk substiute using greek yogurt, milk, and lemon juice. I reduced the sugar from standard amounts, but honestly I think they could have used just a little more sweetness. I added cherries (frozen from last summer's trip to northern Michigan!) which helped spruce up the flavor. They were tasty!! I'll definitely make again! The mini size will be perfect for little snacks throughout the week.

RECIPE: Baby Bran Muffins
Makes about 24 mini muffins

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 cups wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 cup oil, applesauce, or combination
2/3 cup brown sugar (I used 3 tablespoons... next time I'll probably use about 1/3 cup)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped fresh/frozen/dried fruit or nuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375F. Line mini muffin pans with paper liners or spray.

Mix wheat bran and buttermilk, let sit about 10 minutes.

Whisk together the egg, oil (or substitute), sugar and vanilla. Add to the bran mixture and stir to combine.

In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture and mix gently just until combined. Gently stir in any optional add-ins. Spoon evenly into muffin pan.

Bake mini muffins for about 10 minutes, cool on wire racks, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment